How to even talk about this book without crying and laughing my heart out every five seconds like a lunatic, I have no idea, but here goes…
I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK.
I was highly anticipating this release since I devoured The Air He Breathes, Loving Mr. Daniels, Art & Soul, and The Space in Between. Brittainy C. Cherry can do no wrong, and she’s definitely made it to the top of my favorite Romance authors list.
I love reading the works of authors who always have a fresh way of spinning stories. I notice that some writers can be very formulaic and repetitive. Sometimes, even similar scenes carry over from one story to another. Not with this author’s books. The Fire Between High & Lo is a story about the friendship between two people who seem to fall on complete opposite ends of the personality spectrum, yet in the span of seven tumultuous years, manage to find a way to turn that friendship into so much more. Sounds like a story that’s been told many times over, but the details make it such a captivating read nonetheless.
Here are five stars (one for every reason) to include this in your must-read list:
1. Everything happens organically. Though the story develops gradually, there’s nothing slow or dragging about it. It’s an absolutely beautiful story that feels very real. It flows so smoothly that you wouldn’t want to put the book down.
2. You will fall in love with the characters. Brittainy C. Cherry gives you the ideal (though non-traditional) family. Not only do we fall in love with the main characters Alyssa and Logan, but the secondary characters push this beyond just a simple love story. Her people become your tribe. The seemingly broken Logan, the tirelessly hopeful Alyssa, the neurotic Erika, the loyal Kellan — you will want to keep them all.
3. Oh, the feels. Though not as tear-inducing as The Air He Breathes, this story still managed to get me wanting to make myself so small that I would curl into myself just to feel some semblance of comfort. Once you get to the messages in the book, you’ll know what I mean.
4. There are a few scenes that will make the story a bitter pill to swallow, but the treatment of such moments is respectful. Gripping as they are, those moments aren’t used for dramatic effect or the shock factor. The characters’ struggles show just how complex their lives have been, giving the story depth and pushes it forward in a most natural way.
5. You can taste just how palpable the tension is throughout this book, and you will want to consume every bit of it. The constant push and pull will drive you crazy, but when all is said and done, it will all be satisfyingly worth it.
BONUS STAR (Because if I can give this more stars, I would):
The abundance of lovely snippets. Just tons and tons of memorable lines that make this book such a great read.
“A person didn’t fall in love. They dissolved into it. One day you were ice, the next day, a puddle.”
“She smelled like the days when summer went to sleep and awakened as fall.”
“Each night I lit a cigarette and sat it on my windowsill. As it burned, I allowed myself to remember my past. I allowed myself to hurt and to mourn up until the moment the flames hit the filter. Then I shut my brain off, and allowed myself to forget… Sometimes the cigarette burned for eight minutes. Other times, ten. One thing that never changed, no matter how long the cigarette lasted, was how my shattered heart still found ways to break into even smaller pieces.”
“If you’re walking through hell, I’m holding your hand the whole way through. If the fires in our lives keep rising, we’ll burn as one. You’re it for me, Logan. Yesterday, today, tomorrow — I’m yours.”
I highly recommend picking up a copy, staying in bed and reveling in all the highs and lows of this book.
Rating: 5 stars